Sunday 31 October 2010

Toscana

I felt I needed to have one "loose" oilpainting on the side. Something I can add a few brushstrokes to when I have first worked on another, detailed painting, and need to loosen up a bit. There's only so much detail one can paint at a time... I am not planning any underpainting here, just hopping in straight with color.

I thought I might paint this horse in what I hope will look like a Tuscany landscape. I chose a linen canvas 46 x 30 cm.

The first three stages I did really quickly - all in all the work in these three photos took me half an hour.




First a loose sketch - the outline of the background with rough pastel, a slightly more detailed horse with ink. Then a spray of fixative to keep it all in place.










 Then some burnt umbra, diluted with turpentine to block out the white background.











And while I still had some wet paint in my brush, I loosely blocked some formations of the landscape I am planning to paint, and brought out the horse some more.

No comments:

Post a Comment